logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search
Old 01-04-2018,

Default Buying my first stock

I've been watching the show since I returned from overseas. I've never bought a stock beore and have been researching and will continue to research everyday. Anyone have any sugestions where I should put $1000?
Old 01-05-2018,

Depends on what your after.
VTI, or SPY for safety
or EWJ, IIF, TFR, WVVI, UNH, UARM for more risk
I would stear clear of the penny stocks until you have more experience and/or a better foundation
Old 01-06-2018,

Not where I go for advise but to see what others are doing. One thing I've learned is that you can learn somethng from everyone whether good or bad. So I like to plug into every information source I can. Thanks for the advise.
Old 01-06-2018,

Not to worried about safety. I want to put it were it is going to make the most the fastest. I have a couple investments Roth IRA, Money Market that I started when I ws younger and always wanted to get into stocks. Now I have a liitle time to dedicate to it it is time to make some money.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-08-2018,
Administrator

max out your Roth IRA's yearly contribution with this money.
Put it in an index of some type, I suggest something like the S&P 500 or the Russell 2000 Small/mid cap index.

If you want to fool around with stocks, use "paper trading" to buy and sell stocks on paper. See how well you do before (as the other have mentioned here, somewhat harshly), that you lose your real money.

Trading is tough enough, day trading is worse, options are outright scary. The per trade costs to buy in and out eat away at your capital gains. Dont forget to figure those in on your paper trades.