logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search
Old 12-12-2017,

To all, if you had $5,000 to place in the markets tomorrow or the next day where would it be?

I will be the first to say that I am looking at earnings plays and possible stock split plays where you would buy into the split or positive earnings...
Old 12-12-2017,

Default $5,000 to place

I've been watching the recent earnings reports. It seems like a lot of the winners after last quarter's earnings are not doing so great this quarter. I remember most of the earnings after playing the cnbc stock contest(they still don't have a winner yet).

For example:
SCHN, WDFC, CHTT and HELE all jumped a lot after last qtrs earnings releases. They all went down this time, except HELE remained flat.
Old 12-15-2017,

I think the 2nd half of 2007 will be harder to pick winning stocks than the 1st half of 2007.

Some stocks that are hot headed into earnings are:
GWW, PKX, INTC & LWSN. I own shares of LWSN and I think it will do well in the 2nd half of the year. If it dips after earnings, I might buy more. Personally, I would rather buy stocks after earnings than before earnings. I don't like surprises. Anyway, good luck. Let us know what you pick.
Old 12-15-2017,

I don't know how to answer the question. Are you asking if one has $5k to invest total or if one was going to add $5k to a larger portfolio. And most importantly what's your (or the investors) risk tolerance.
I did put a bit more than that on ASTI friday and again today. I like it as a speculative play. I wouldn't recommend it for the widows and orphans fund, but if you're 20 and you have $5k it wouldn't be a bad place to go at this level ($9.25 as I write this).
If you're 20 and you're going into Mega-cap dividend plays you might as well be in a mutual fund or Bonds.
Old 12-16-2017,

What, that wasn't enough? Markets like China are growing at an enormous clip. Catepillar is a Machinery and global infrastructure play. Weakness in the US has held the stock from blowing up - but this is a 'Rest of World' play and their earnings should be fine despite weakness in the US.