logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Charts, news and analysis (official contributors)

Old 12-18-2017,

Default Question about worthwhile books

As a young investor looking to learn, what books do forum members strongly feel have helped them make wiser investments?

I don't feel comfortable doing short term trading, nor do I feel I have the time to devote to that. Nevertheless I feel that I could benefit from some resources that are out there to devise better long term investment strategies. Ones that are moderate to conservative and really work over time.

Thanks in advance. Help a newbie out.
Old 12-20-2017,

I think the previous poster meant Jim Cramer's Real Money: Sane investing in an insane world. If you are looking to pick that book up (highly reccomended) get the bundle on Amazon with Confessions of a street addict, which is more storytelling than advice, but much more of a compelling read.

Page 115 of Real Money is worth the price of admission to be certain.

I'd also reccomend anything by Peter Lynch.
Old 12-21-2017,

A good place to start would be look above to "search" and see what others have said in the past here about investment books, etc. Try various search terms, e.g., "books," "investment books," etc.

I would suggest you use your library and read through various books before buying the one(s) that is/are in sync with your temperament. Your library incidently can order books from other other libraries for you to use. When you find those you like check eBay and Amazon...

You will probably find only one or two books are worth owning, because most just repeat the standard blah-blah

Definitely read Master Cramer's "Confessions..." book, if Master Cramer interests you...This book is a modern classic...
Old 12-23-2017,

As I continue to develop an approach to investing, I see frequently how important it is to abide and follow through with a strategy concocted long before you pull the trigger and buy a stock: in short, it is important to have an unemotional approach to the buy and selling of your positions.

In addition to Cramer's "Real Money...€ "The Warren Buffett Way," by Robert G. Hagstrom, has many good sections on how Mr. Buffet sizes up good investments.

Though Mr. Buffet's 'buy and hold' approach to the stock market is arguably 180 degrees apart from that of Mr. Cramer's, I have found the book a good eye-opener on how one might look at the stock market and mute the cacophony of babble coming from forums, analysts and others and help the sane investor stay the course until one's investment reaches your goal.
Old 12-23-2017,

I have also found the following a great education:

-Reading the articles on thestreet.com,
-Listening to Cramer's radio show (the podcasts can be downloaded from the thestreet.com website).
-Pick up Barron's on the weekend as they are many incisive articles which discuss the valuing of stocks.

You should also make up a list all your favorite products and look at the companies that make those products as you would have more interest in following them in the newspapers and online.