logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search
Old 12-24-2017,

Default Jobless claims

Anybody think that the 'bad' numbers are already priced in and if anything comes out lower than forecasted will keep the market up?

This week was supposed to be all bad news, but the market has been holding quite well.

HK index continued to rise last night, up 2.5%...holding tight on my FXI shares.
Old 12-25-2017,

An up day after those jobs numbers, that is quite bullish. It is also quite insane. Does the market really believe the bottom is in and the economy is gonna follow? Or is it that people think recessions last 18-24 months and we're 12 months in?
Old 12-27-2017,

The market appears to be getting numb to all the bad news.

There is no way this thing is going to turn around in the next 6-12 months, we have nothing to build on.

Our manufacturing base is hollowed out, Detroit has one foot in bankruptcy and the other on a banana peel, people are up to their eyeballs in debt. All the government can think to do is add to the already crushing national debt by trying every crackpot Keynesian scheme in the book, all to little avail.
Old 12-27-2017,

That sounds about right to me. I'd still sell any rallies. The best advice is still to stay mostly in cash and make small day trades when an opportunity arises. You still have hedge funds dumping. Many will close down. You'll also have capital gains selling pressure on long term winners. Obama wants to raise capital gains taxes. So many will sell their long term winning stocks in 2008 to avoid any possible higher capital gains taxes.

I don't think the market has capitulated yet, even though I felt like throwing up a couple of times. Take profits when you can. I think we're headed for that Japan "lost decade" scenario. We live in interesting times.
Old 12-28-2017,

Market manipulation in its glory, with PPT + the JP Morgans under contract working overtime.

Unsustainable and if the word recession is scary, in my opinion with such jobs lost, and think of it recent Pink slips numbers not even in the 533K number - watch Intel the rumor is out 10K + - this is going to be worst then a recession, much much worst.....
Old 12-29-2017,
Administrator

your friend didn't blow his account by trading against the trend... he blew it because of poor money management skills. we all get caught up with finding good entry points, looking at momentum, signs of reversals, whatever technical indicators we like, our gut feelings, etc. but at the end of the day, you simply must preserve your capital.... and that means cutting losing trades sooner than later. he may ultimately be right about the direction, but it doesn't matter if the account is blown and there is no money to make the trade when the time is right.