logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Learn how to trade or invest by asking questions

Old 01-07-2018,

Default Why do some stocks show longer to reach share price than others?

Hard to think of the right question to put in the title for this but here is the question.

Why is it with some stocks you can look at a chart for instance OMED and the distance between $25.00 per share and $30.00 per share is quite narrow, where as other stocks for instance WOOF the distance between $25.00 per share to $30.00 is longer. The reason i ask is because this makes calculating risk reward more difficult.

In my scenario you could reach a target price of $40 per share on OMED within a matter of weeks where as on WOOF it could take months. Anyone see what i'm saying?
Old 01-09-2018,

WOOF is marked off in 5 cent increments omed 25 cent increments but both would move the same as 1 cent would be one cent
Old 01-10-2018,

That chart is wide due to the amount the security has moved in a short period of time. OMED two days ago had a gap of 10 points so that will make a chart be wider apart on the same time frame (3 month daily) as WOOF it has been gradually moving up which makes the chart smaller in the price range during that 3 month period. WOOF 3 month trading range is 26.84 - 30.50, where as OMED 3 month trading range is 12.07 - 32.39 (see images)
Old 01-11-2018,

Thanks for the replies guys, helps clear things up a bit.
Old 01-12-2018,

Well first, what make you think OMED and WOOF could both go to $40? Nothing is guaranteed. BUT at the same time any stock can go up 100% or down 100%. All it takes is a shift in supply and demand. There are many factors that can influence this.

OMED had a lot of demand a few days ago based off news. Now gravity will kick in and trickle down until the next wave of buyers if ever. 28 is the key price right now. If it fails tomorrow it probably fades off, OR if it perks and buyers jump back on then it could retest the 32 high. WOOF has been slow and steady all year, so of course it will probably continue to be a slower play.

Studying past range on stocks can help predict future range. I study and trade based off these chart patterns. Start on this thread as I explain more about basic supply and demand factors.