Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Stock picks and trading strategies

Old 02-19-2018,
Default Add These Two To Your Portfolio...

I have some cash going into mutual funds from work for retirement. Now this is for long term but I must admit, I recently picked up 45 shares in each of the following two funds and I have made some great cash... more so than I have in any stocks. I know it may sound crazy but check it out for yourself. I wouldn't go crazy but it wouldn't hurt to put a little cash in these funds and watch it grow.
Old 02-25-2018,

and for those not into mutual funds, but index funds they are:

EEM for emerging markets,
EWJ for Japan small cap index

PS - wifes and my Roth IRAs are going to be populated on Jan 2 at 9:30.0001 am with these index funds.

Why index funds over the Mutuals?
Old 02-25-2018,

I have much more control over the buy/sell of the index funds during the daytime. They trade like regular stocks. With the mutual fund, you are trading "yesterday's" closing number. If there is a major bru-ha-ha in the markets, and if I'm luckily to be near a 'puter terminal I can get out in a flash.

Also, the index funds have a lower management fee than mutual fund.
Old 02-26-2018,

Thanks for that advice. See I am new to this whole stock market thing but I'm learning. After I learned about the mutual funds through work, I got interested in the stocks. Sounds like I need to check out those indexes. Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2018,

I have a 403b through my work, and I don't think they allow index funds as a choice, it's all mutual funds or money markets. Anyway, FEMKX is a great choice. It's YTD return is 42%, and I own some in it.

I also own two others, both of which happened to be recommended by Cramer last month on his radio show (the only times I've ever heard him talk about mutual funds):