logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Stock picks and trading strategies

Old 01-13-2018,

Default Couple Shorts for you Short Stackers

Couple shorts on my watch for Friday.

Note...insure market is sideways or falling to add some confirmation.

1 day only. Get out by 4(E)

VPHM....PP 17.08
KR........PP 25.71
Old 01-16-2018,

closing daily candle

decreasing daily volume

oversold RSI and hugging or penetrating the upper bollinger band.

penetrating upper linear regression

Now.....there are a couple more things I look at, but stacking the odds are the key. In the case of the two I threw out...the odds are a little higher than others.

One day hold only. The stock must show weakness before entering and pivot is a key price level to watch. Calculate support and resistance for more confirmation if needed. Both stocks have the average daily range I need (.30 to.50). I only need a solid $.25.

If there is a big gap on opening, that changes the game and decisions have to be made.

Hope that helps....and if it fits your style, PM me. (don't mess with these with less than 500 shares though).
Old 01-16-2018,

Do you just use techinicals to figure out your shorts or do you combine it with news or insider selling etc? I've never had the balls to short even stocks I know are going down because of the unlimited loss potential. There are so many penny pieces of crap out there that would make great shorts but if they pull some bs and get a short pop I could get bought back in at a huge loss. My last 'imaginary short' was RIM at around $40, so maybe I'm just not cut out for it ;-)
Old 01-18-2018,

No offense, but how many stocks' pps have you seen go to infinity? Stops work on a short trade as well as a long. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I just don't understand this fear of going short when the same risks are present on both sides of the trade. I've heard the unlimited loss statement many times, but apparently nobody is concerned about their long position going to zero, like say...Enron? I'd seriously like to know if there is something I'm missing that makes a short so much more riskier than a long?
Old 01-18-2018,

Honestly I've never used stops. I guess that does make sense to use them on shorts. My statement about penny piece of crap stocks though I really doubt stops are even usable, but you never know.