logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Learn how to trade or invest by asking questions

Old 01-26-2018,

Default This market is getting ridiculous .......

When a little toad North Korean launches a few aborted missles the whole earth quakes ? It would be entirely different if the North invaded the South or China made a grab for Taiwan or Iraq suddently announced it has successfully detonated an atomic weapon but........to light off missles that failed >> give me a break ! Knee jerk reactions are causing havoc in this market and I don't see it getting any better any time soon. A few thousand jobs are added and immediately the street sees interest rates increasing 50 basis points. How the hell does anyone make money in a market that is ruled by emotions gone awry ?
I should have taken my own advice and bailed out in May and come back in November. This is sheer nuttiness !
Even the oils were spotty.......VLO and BP dropping, SU and CVX gaining. No rhyme or reason behind anything in this market. There is nothing that relates to reason in this environment...... it's a bipolar frenetic free for all.
Old 01-28-2018,

The only way I make money is if find a bottom for the day and sell later that day for a little bit of money. It's completely wacko.

Oil and gold were up today. They'll be down tomorrow.

Tech was down today. It'll be up tomorrow.

What ever was down today will be up tomorrow & vice versa.
Old 01-29-2018,

yall mite not like a darn thang i say, but ya gotta stop tryin to time this market with ya lil penny stocks and crappy stuff that ain't goin nowhere

put ya money in sum good stuff like RSAS, CHAP, SMDI, HANS

I got em all and had em over a year, yeh the charts looks like a see-saw, but if ya keep em awhile like i do, ya gonna be way ahead
i like the market jus fine, i'm makin plenty just sittin on what i got

git ya sum good ones and quit chasin everything evrybody else has got or ya goona buy yerself rite into tha poor house

just my pinion
Old 02-03-2018,

If I remember my basics correctly, you don't make money until you sell. "Making plenty sitting on what I got" sounds a lot like paper profits and we all know about them don't we ??
If it works for you...great ! I'm deliriously happy for you.
Old 02-03-2018,

Clearly, if the goal of investing is to buy great businesses at attractive prices, you should view down markets as a time to consider investing new money. Generally speaking though, investor psychology has many thinking of selling the businesses they currently own when sale prices show up. (Of course, it’s interesting to note that frightened investors can sell their businesses in a down market because there are other investors who are quite happy to take those stocks away from them at low prices.
The flip side of this psychological phenomenon is that investors would actually prefer to invest more of their money into the stock markets when the markets have been rising for some time, and stocks are relatively expensive. In the face of an unknowable future, it’s natural to assume that the current trend will continue. It feels safer to bet that the near future will be the same as the recent past. But the lesson of history is that even the prices of excellent companies tend to defy prediction in the short term. It’s only in the long term that stocks reliably reward holders with attractive returns.
That has a couple of implications right now. One is that if you are to be invested in the stock market, you must be an acceptor of volatility. That’s the deal you make: higher long-term returns in return for accepting higher short-term volatility. If you’re an investor in the market right now, you’ll be rewarded over time for being there. Don’t let the news media focus on what happened in the short term distract you from that, because you made your investments with long-term money, and the short term has little relevance for you.
As for the other implication, well, that’s simple too. You shouldn’t have short-term money in the stock market. Period.