logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search
Old 01-19-2018,

Default Roth question

If I open a roth this year and use that money to buy a stock. If I then sell that same stock 6 months later, will I be able to reinvest that money elsewhere, if so when and what penalties would apply?
Old 01-20-2018,

If you mean elsewhere as in other stocks within the Roth IRA account then yes you can do that, there are no penalties. But if you are talking about taking some of that gain out of the account, then there would be a penalty in most cases.
Old 01-21-2018,

After my last buy I had $6.87 left in my Roth. I sold my shares leaving me with over $2,000 in my account. When I tried to place an order today, it said I was over my purchasing power of $6.87.
Old 01-24-2018,
Administrator

I have my Roth with Fidelity.
When I sell a stock there, it does go into a "cash from usettled activity" slot on the balances listings.

But, I do have the ability to immediatly buy something else with that money, even though they are reconciling the funds.

Maybe with your account they must clear the unsettled activity before the funds are availible for you to buy again.

ONe other thing can occur. Say I have $2000 in the account, and I put a limit order in to buy some IBM - 10 shares at $100. Even though I still have $2k in the account, my "buying power" is only $1000 for the next purchase because they seem to allocate the buy amount even though the 1st transaction has not completed...