logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search
Old 12-15-2017,

Default Oil & Gold

I don't like to jump the gun, but I've been watching oil and gold trading since the NY close and neither has been lower than the close and currently Gold (tied closely to oil in price movement) is up $2.40 and oil is up .19 Normally not a big deal at all, but in light of the recent multiple daily drops, perhaps a bottom has been established as this is the first green trend in a while for either commodity. (Silver is also up .21 or 1.9%)
Old 12-16-2017,

I think getting into a few small mining companies might do you some good, if you like that high risk / high return kinda thing.

Some ideas (if you're interested) are Pearl Asian (PAIM) and Unico (UCOI). I've commented on them in the past....just search if you wish.
Old 12-17-2017,

Well I am speculative on oil plays but I like to stay with the better known and US stocks for security if the shtf as it has these past 2 weeks. Thanks for the thought though.

I was fishing for opinions on this upward movement in commodities more than anything else.
Old 12-19-2017,

Short term i would be a trader in the big oil stocks. In 2-3 weeks the big money will once again be thinging about the earnings coming out end of oct. and early nov. and the big companys like XOM CVX SU MRO will once again be reporting great earnings. If oil holds 65 dollars thru sept then the oil companys would have avg. 70-72 dollar oil in this qtr. The avg. in qtr 2 was $70. CVX reported 2.15 last qtr and this qtr. the est. is 2.07. As long as oil holds $65 my money will be in the big oil companys in a few weeks waiting on another great qtr but for now its in the techs like RMBS PALM and XING. Good luck
Old 12-19-2017,

timeframe, timeframe, timeframe! oil gets sold hard for a day, and an embassy gets hit. gold is another story, but rest assured for other reasons i believe september is the annual low point for miners. if you trade for today, and forget yesterday and ignore tomorrow like cnbc, i would be running the other way from oils and miners. but i know tomorrow both oil and gold will be harder to find, and harder to get to market. also, the longer things stay quiet globaly, the more i fear the eventual noise. maybe its being born and raised in eathquake country, but lots of little quakes relieve the pressure leading to the big quake. the longer we let iran stay quiet, the more our possibility of having to use military force increases. good luck all!
Old 12-20-2017,

Has gold suddenly lost its appeal once more, or is there more to it than that? These are questions being asked currently by nervous holders of the precious metal. Experienced traders remain stoically unconcerned.

FN Arena has noted for some weeks now that a good 100 tons of gold has hung over the market ¡V that which under the Washington Agreement of European central banks is allowed to be sold before September 24. The question has been whether the lateness of the move to sell has meant procrastination, or whether in fact central banks had decided not to sell.
i read this as neither procrastination or "no sale" but rather TIMING.
Old 12-20-2017,
Administrator

The prevailing feeling over the last couple of days is that they're selling, and hence potential buyers have stepped aside until such time as the impediment has been removed. This has frightened less solid long speculators, who have likely dumped their positions, and the move through the significant US$600/oz level would have triggered stop-losses that exacerbate falls in a thin market.
why i despise all but mental stops- the big boys will always win this game.

Much has conspired to send the gold price lower. The oil price continues to tumble, as the skies over the Gulf remain calm and negotiations with Iran over its nuclear plans appear to be moving more co-operatively. Despite indications of weakness in the US economy, similar signs from Europe have meant the US dollar has traded higher. General global slowdown fears have had their effect on base metals, particularly copper, and falling base metal prices tend to be a drag on precious metals as well.